Dog-Friendly Places in Omaha

Maybe with a bit of encouragement, all of Omaha will begin to shift to a dog-welcoming atmosphere.  How fun would that be?  If you know of dog-friendly businesses or events, let me know and I will add them.  If you OWN a dog-friendly business, let me know and I will add it and also say, I think you are awesome.

Check out this site that I LOVE – Go Pet Friendly – and thank you guys for allowing me to link to your site!  My little blog post here will have Omaha-specific information as I collect it.  Go Pet Friendly has country-wide information, including pet-friendly hotels!  Very fun site to visit, even if you do not happen to be heading out the door with your pup!

Also check out Fido Factor – They also have helpful information on pet-friendly places!  Pretty soon we will be able to walk in about anywhere with our pups!

Omaha Pet-Friendly Places…

Pumpkin Patch at 120th and Military – inexpensive pumpkins and very dog friendly!  Support your local farmers!  October 14, 2010 *Just in time for Halloween!* Thanks Alicia!

Hefflinger Dog Park

PetSmart – 6 area locations

PetCo

Outdoor concerts at Shadow Lake Towne Center

Jazz on the Green concerts at Midtown Crossing

Bookworm Bookstore 88th and Pacific

Canfield’s Sporting Goods 84th and Center – They may even take your dog’s picture and hang it on their wall!

Trocadéro “Lifestyle and Accessories Emporium” – Old Market

Underwood Hill’s Presbyterian Church – This church in Dundee has special services to which pets are invited.  I was reminded of this great program recently when I saw a fellow grocery shopper with a Underwood Hill’s T-shirt with paw prints on it.

Subway in the Old Market (outdoor seating)

Upstream in the Old Market (outdoor seating)

La Buvette in the Old Market (outdoor seating)

Farmer’s Markets – Old Market (Saturdays), Aksarben (Sundays)

Come to think of it…The Old Market and the surrounding areas have amazing dog walking and hanging out areas.

McFoster’s Natural Kind Cafe 302 South 38th Street (outdoor seating)

Trovato’s Italian Restaurant – Dundee (outdoor seating)

Chipolte Mexican Grill (outdoor seating)

Goldberg’s – Dundee (outdoor seating)

Nebraska Humane Society – in designated areas

QC  Supply in Elkhorn – went there today (Sept. 27, 2010) with Noodle the Poodle, LOVE this store!!

Old Chicago – beer garden at Old Chicago of 76th and Cass – I will find out about other locations!  It will be fun to support this one – I love their food (and drinks!)

Merle Norman Cosmetic Studios – 50th and Dodge

Call a business or restaurant ahead if you are unsure if they welcome pets!  Even if they say “no” you will get them thinking!

*****

Some stores will make exceptions if your pet is cute enough. Russ and I would always walk to Blockbuster’s in Littleton Colorado.  I would stay outside with our dog Benji while Russ went in to get our movie.  One time, the manager came out to the parking lot to pet Benji and said, “You can bring him in if you want to.”  I always did from then on, and we rented movies there more than ever to say “thank you” to that kind manager.  It is a very good memory now over ten years later.

OK, this one is not official, so don’t go bringing your dog in to Sam and Louie’s just because you brought him on errands and didn’t think through how hot it is out!  But I DO want you to support Sam and Louie’s, specifically the one near 72nd and L Street!  I went there with my friend Erika, and we overheard a guy at the bar saying he was just going to get a drink or two while his dog waited in the car.

Both of us have dog-loving qualities that are about one hundred times stronger than our introversion (which is a pretty strong trait in both of us!)  ANYWAYS, the manager there ended up relenting to our pleas (so we let go of his ankles and stood up), and Ray Charles, the very cute, very blind, very brachycephalic Boston Terrier got to sit under his owner’s feet at the bar instead of in the hot car with the windows up during the lunch hour.  Thank you Very Nice Sam and Louie’s manager. Because I no longer get my movies at the Littleton Blockbuster’s, I will transfer all of my love for the Blockbuster’s manager to you and express it by buying your pizzas and sandwiches as often as possible.

Thank you to Alicia Weiland, Jen Howell, Jess Kamish and Russ Finch for help with the initial info gathering.  You are three of my favorite women and my absolute favorite guy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Dog-Friendly Places in Omaha”

1. Hi Shawn! We love that you’re working to make it easier to for people to find things to do with their pets and thanks for the link to GoPetFriendly.com!

2. Fido Factor says:

Great post. Thanks for helping make another city more dog friendly. We love what Rod and his wife are doing with Go Pet Friendly. You can also find dog friendly spots on our free iPhone app & website. Woof!

Hey thanks guys! I love having the Go Pet Friendly link on here Amy! Fido Factor – I gotta get your link up here too. Thanks for all you guys do for pets! I think you’re great!

4. Brent says:

Of course, all of this is assuming that you don’t have one of 7 particular breeds of dogs that are not welcomed in the entire city without certain restrictions….whether they are friendly or not.

What you say is true, Brent. Though I know you and I do not see eye to eye on breed-related issues, I very much respect all you have done to help dogs, in Kansas City and beyond! I did not have to click your link to say that because I have followed your site since I first heard of it! But I did, so I could repost it here…http://www.btoellner.typepad.com/kcdogblog/ Everyone should check it out.Just so no one misunderstands where I am coming from, I DO love every single dog I have ever met, INCLUDING (and sometimes especially) the dogs covered in the Omaha ordinances.I also think Omaha is safer since they have been passed. I understand it is not necessarily that straight forward, and emotions run high when discussing breed-specific legislation, but that’s what I’ve got.aahh! I do not mean to open a big can of worms here! Just wanted to say “I hear you. And I respect you very much.”

6. dog friendly says:

I like the article. Will be back later to take another look.

7. Terry says:

I can personally attest that OLD CHICAGO @ 78th & Cass Street, allowed friends and I, including two (2) beautiful, very well-behaved, Border Collies (Ollie and Vicky) out in the beer garden to enjoy a post-NHS Dog Walk sunny afternoon. Moreover, after walking down the Keystone from Fort Street to Cass Street (about 3.5 miles), I’m also very pleased to report that our waitress went out of her way to bring us two plastic containers filled with water for the dogs– and an ice cold beer for me!

Thanks Terry! That is good to know! I will add them and be sure to spread the word. I wonder if yours were the gorgeous Border Collies I saw at the walk?

9. Jodi says:

oops, did I not introduce Terry & Dr. Finch at the walk?! We should walk together again soon!

10. Hannah says:

That’s a nice review making a city more dog and pet friendly to travel with. Nice article, keep it up! ;)

Thanks Hannah! I will keep adding places as I hear about them!

12. Brent says:

Thanks for this website. Found it while looking for fun stuff to do around Omaha, while sharing time with our sweet little Shiba~Kai, Winston. Noticed your last post/reply was over a year ago; hope you haven’t given up on this site. More and more, people want to go out, but many times will stay home rather than leave their little one at home, so Merchants are losing out on those $$ too!!

13. Thanks Brent! There are more recent posts if you go to rileyandjames.com! Come back and see :)

You are right – we are always looking for places Noodle the Poodle and Joy the Puppy will be welcome, and spend a lot of times at outdoor cafes and concerts in the summer.

14. julie says:

Mangelsons and lowes off dodge, all ace hardwares, the flower place off 120 and maple to name a few more.

15. Linda says:

Could you add Sean O’Casey,s to your list for dog friendly in the outdoor seating?

16. Oo good ones guys, thanks!