This week I am working much more than usual!  The kids are back in school full swing and starting fall activities.  Russ’ company (J.T. Builder’s, where he is a carpenter) is closing tomorrow, but he already has some leads on new career opportunities.  God always takes care of us.  I don’t suppose He will drop us now.  I love my crazy, busy life, but it is taking all of my writing time!

Also, I have been providing supportive care for Fuzzy Rat, who has been very sick.  Last week, she was so wobbly she could not walk or even hold food.  I have been bugging all of my poor veterinarian friends to help me come up with a differential diagnosis list that does not include “brain” or “cancer!”

She is on antibiotics and antiinflammatories, and responding well.  She even started walking yesterday!

Still could be bad, but I am hoping she is either dealing with a severe inner ear infection or idiopathic vestibular disease.  Idiopathic means “unknown cause” (same base word as “idiot” – ha!)  The vestibular system deals with balance.  Idiopathic Vestibular Disease is fairly common in dogs, so it would not be unheard of to occur in rats, though I have never dealt with it before.  It is basically a diagnosis of exclusion – if it is not something else, it may be Idiopathic Vestibular Disease.  In dogs, it has a good chance of resolution, so here’s hoping for Old Ratty Vestibular Disease!  I would never wish an ear infection on anyone, but I would be ok with that diagnosis too!

Get Well Really Soon Small Rat!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “What I am Doing This Week, Dwelling on Construction Jobs and the Inner Ear of My Rat”

1. Jodi says:

I do not want Fuzzy to be sick, nor do I want you guys to be stressed about Russ’s job. I want to live in a Utopia. Let’s go, k? :)I’m so happy for your faith – we all know God provides, and ties a knot in the end of the rope. Hang in there guys, love you!

2. Lianne McLeod says:

I heard about Fuzzy Rat from my friend Janet. I’m afraid I can’t offer much insight – it sounds like you have a good handle on the differentials and have instituted a good treatment plan, so all I can do is offer well wishes for Fuzzy Rat’s recovery :)Lianne

Love you Jodi!! Thanks! You are right – God always takes good care of us, to the very last rat!

Thank you Dr. McLeod! I heard a rumor that you love rats as much as I do :) Happily, Fuzzy is doing amazingly well – playing again today and walking with almost no ataxia. Such a relief…I get kind of attached!

5. Roberta says:

SO happy that Fuzzy is doing a little better. How great that things are working! Also so happy to see that Russ already has some possibilities after his company closing. God is good! :)

Thanks Roberta! You are right! Do not let me forget : )

7. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all of the information you’ve made available on your site. I found it while doing some research for one of my sick rats. Your post on Vestibular disease was re-assuring considering I’m pretty sure that’s whats going on with my little Bella. My vet is new to treating rats, so I’ve had to become somewhat of a rat health expert. If anyone had told me that all of my years of human medical training and experience would one-day be used to treat rats…I would have said they were nuts! It just goes to show that you never know what life has in store for you! I hope Fuzzy has fully recovered and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

8. Hi Tamie! Nice to meet you! I hope Bella Rat is feeling better soon! I have lots of pictures here of our Fuzzy and Wuzzy and a few others of friends’ rats, so I hope you like them! I try to include as much medical information here as possible, but often get off on tangents…Fuzzy Rat passed away soon after this post. She did do very well for a short time with treatment, so I am grateful for the “extra” weeks we had with her. Here is the last post about her…http://rileyandjames.com/2010/10/16/fuzzy-rat/