Fuzzy Rat

Our Fuzzy Rat died today.  I guess I am not ready to say it outloud, so I will hold onto this post for a while.  She was a great little goofy rat.

Rest in Peace little girl.  I love you.

Fuzzy Rat

February 14, 2008 – October 14, 2010

I suspected she had something more serious than an ear infection or even idiopathic vestibular disease several weeks ago when I was unable to wean her off of anti-inflammatories (prednisone).  Most likely, she had a pituitary adenoma, which is a benign brain tumor, but in rats it can grow so much, it puts pressure on the brain and causes vestibular signs (wobbliness, like in Fuzzy) or other signs and eventually is incompatible with life.  Being neurotic and being me (which are of course overlapping, and in my opinion not such horrible things!) I searched for “records” and found a rat who had lived ten months with a probable pituitary adenoma.  I needed the hope then but I don’t need the heartache now.

The night before Fuzzy passed away, she was not eating well, but she was playing and nosing my hand to be pet.  I think she was happy right to the end.  I tried to talk with Wuzzy Rat about it, but she just wanted to know if I had peanut butter.

My twelve-year-old nephew put it best.  He hugged me and said “I’m sorry about Fuzzy.  She was a nice little rat.”

Tags: , , ,

12 Responses to “Fuzzy Rat”

1. Russlmnop says:

She was a nice rat. Who would think that I could get so attached to such a goofy little allergen. I miss her too.

2. Erika says:

She was a very nice rat. I enjoyed taking care of her. She couldn’t have had more loving owners.

3. Jodi says:

She was an awesome rat. I love you <3

4. SuSiempre says:

I feel like I knew Fuzzy even though we never got to nudge noses. Snuggle that Wascally Wuzzy as she eats her peanut butter and know that every fuzzy, or not so fuzzy, critter we let into our lives makes us better people, even when they leave us with our Sharpie-outlined sorrow for a while. The sorrow will fade, but the Sharpie outline will remain on our hearts forever.Love you, Finch Family!

5. Iz very sorry for your loss. RIP at RB little Buddy.

6. Mom says:

Fuzzy and all of her counterparts taught me and lots of others to love RATS! Look at all the places she went and taught others about rats. You did an awesome thing to love her and share her. Read Mr. Rogers. Love you lots!

7. Dave Nelson says:

You gave that rat the best life it could have ever hoped for, and more!I love you Shawn!

8. Roberta says:

Fuzzy had such a great life with such a great family! I wish I could give you a big hug! :(

9. Leda says:

Shawn I am so sorry about Fuzzy. From the short time I met her she seemed to be a lovely little rat. I hope Wuzzy takes it okay, and I hope that you give Wuzzy a whole bunch of love to help her (and you!) through this. If you need anything let me or Jeremy know. If you’d like to have her cremated, you can always call Jeremy for the place we go to. I’m absolutely sure Fuzzy had a wonderful, carefree life with you and I know that she felt very loved right up until the very end of her (way too short!) life. You know we know how it is to have our little girls pass away. :( I hope things get better for you – Fuzzy is with God now.

Thank you guys! You are the best. Knowing my life is so full of awesome friends and family does not make losing Fuzzy less sad but it reminds me how very blessed I am to have you to walk through life with me. Love you so much!!

11. Becky and Bill says:

Shawn, Russ and girls, We are so sorry to hear that you lost Fuzzy. Your article was touching and shows what a wonderful family she had and how much you loved her. You are all in our thoughts and prayer! We love you!