Piggy the Great

Our guinea pig Piggy died Monday morning.  I held him on my lap and told Amanda and Abby Comforting Things I had very recently told them about Fuzzy and Wuzzy Rats, only this time it was Piggy.

Joy the Puppy walked up to us sideways, wagging her tail.  She kissed Abby on the arm, kissed Piggy on the head, kissed the DVD case next to Abby, kissed Abby again and settled in to be sad with us.  I would take Joy the Puppy over a smart dog any day.  She is one of a kind.

And I would take Piggy over a smart guinea pig any day.  He too was one of a kind.  (Are there smart guinea pigs?  Does anyone know?)  He was sweet and gentle, goofy and fun.  Piggy and I spent almost every morning together these past six plus years.

I found some of my favorite pictures of Piggy.  Some are photographs I took, and some are drawings given to me by the kids at Camp Kindness in the summer of 2008, when Piggy came to help Fuzzy and Wuzzy Rats and me.  A few have fun stories that go with them, and if so, I linked the stories to the photo captions.

Piggy Kissing a Purple Hippo

Piggy as the Zero-Zero Domino, Halloween 2010

(The three black dogs were all Dominoes too, but they were big enough for dots!)

Piggy Eating Cat Grass in the Garden He Shared with Max the Cat

My first (and still favorite) species-specific “pet care” article was inspired by Piggy:

Taking Care of Your Exotic Pet, For Example, Your Guinea Pig, Which is Not Really All That Exotic

We will miss you Piggy.  You were the sweetest, cutest guinea pig I have ever known.

Piggy Finch

May 1, 2004 – January 17, 2010

This is a card my brother Dave made for me several years ago, even after he said “But I don’t make greeting cards!”  Isn’t it awesome?  I still use it all the time when I want someone to know I am REALLY REALLY grateful.  I know some of you have gotten one from me! Dave included his Great Dane Riley (yup, same Riley), his cat Abaye and Piggy.

This next set is the pictures kids drew of Piggy when he went to Camp Kindness at Nebraska Humane Society with me.  How many ways are there to draw a black egg-shaped pet?  (Apparently, as many ways as there are great kids writing thank you cards.)  I like the green pig too – apparently drawing black pets is as difficult as photographing them…a box of crayons gives you more wiggle room than a camera.  Thank you kids…looking through these again cheered me a little.  And thank you Friends, for all of your kind words and love.  You have cheered me up quite a bit.

And one by Abby…

And one by Amanda…

And this last one did not include a drawing of Piggy, but it is my favorite thank you card I have ever received from Camp Kindness…

Piggy, you touched a lot of hearts, but you really got to mine.  We will miss you buddy.

Tags: , , , ,

17 Responses to “Piggy the Great”

1. Bob Nelson says:

shawn russ amanda and abigail we are so very sorry this was a real tear jerker, but what a tribute to piggy we love you all

2. Kristi Jones says:

What a great tribute to who piggy was. I always said he was the coolest (recently the goodest) pig I have ever met. I said many times if I could get a pig like him, I would have one!!!

Thank you Dad! I love you!! Having you and Mom there yesterday helped a ton. And knowing that you know how much we love these pets (It is yours and Mom’s fault after all that I am a Pet Lover) and that you know how sad it is to say goodbye to such a great little friend is going to help in the long run as we mourn Piggy.Thank you Sister-I-Love! amen amen

4. i don’t believe i’ve read any of your older fun stories about piggy [yet] but i don’t think there could be any piggy story more touching than this one. he sounds much loved, and not just by your family.i’m so sorry for your loss dr finch. big hug.

5. Pup Fan says:

I’m so sorry to hear about Piggy! Sending you lots of hugs.

6. mom Karen says:

I’m so glad you can write about your loss of your pets. I know it helps you and then in turn lots of others. You are such a loving vet and pet mom.( HUG) (HUG) (HUG)!!!

7. Mary says:

Oh my! Again, more tears from the dog loving, kid loving turtlelady. You inspire such beauty and hope, Shawn, through your descriptions of your Piggy, your children, and the life you share with them. I’m so truly touched by this. Take care and take time….love to you and your family and to Piggy, who will send the next one…

Thank you all so much! You are wonderful, and having you here helps so much.(((hugs)))Love you Mom-Karen! (HUG)

9. Mary Haight says:

I did not realize that this had happened the day you stopped in at Bark Out Loud to say hi – I am so very sorry for you and your family. It is really hard to say goodbye to our wonderful animal companions. Thank you for sharing those very charming drawings of Piggy and the sweet photographs – what a lovely tribute. My heart goes out to you and yours.

Thanks Mary ♥

11. Kristine says:

Poor Piggy. I am so sorry to hear he is no longer with you. He obviously lived a very loving, very active life. Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

12. I’m so sorry for your loss. It looks like he touched a lot of lives. The pictures of Piggy drawn by the kids are precious! R.I.P. Piggy <3

Thanks Kristine! Thanks Lori! Yeah, he was Some Pig. We really miss him.

14. Jen says:

Aww…I am so sorry to read about Piggy, what a wonder pig he must of been:(

Thanks Jen! Piggy truly was wonderful. I am glad I get to share him here and have you all know what a great pig he was too!

16. My condolences for Piggy’s loss. I am going to spread the word of Piggy’s amazing life by posting his memorial on my blog! Long live Piggy’s memory.Dr. PM

Thank you so much Dr. Mahaney! That is so sweet of you. Hugs to you and Cardiff…aaww I love it. It makes me more happy than sad…maybe that is a good sign.