Archive for the ‘The Pet Savers’ Category
Mom wants to discuss the quality of life of her old Lab. My heart sinks.
“Doesn’t he look great?” Mom asks.
“Yeah,” I say softly.
“This season of life has been a really good one. I thought you should know. “
The memory still makes my eyes teary. In a good way.
Our family recently attended our first ever Pug-o-ween, the biggest fundraiser of the year for Pug Partners of Nebraska – one of my all time favorite rescue groups!
Do you know what is cute?
A Pug, of course!
Do you know what is SUPER cute?
HUNDREDS of Pugs.
Do you know what is so cute I could have DIED?
Hundreds of Pugs and all of their dog friends dressed up for Halloween!
Of all the raffle prizes of the entire party, there was only ONE that I felt like I NEEDED as soon as I saw it. In fact, I was only half way through carefully evaluating the huge numbers of awesome Pug things to win when I saw it, and in an uncharacteristically passionate split-second decision, I put my raffle ticket in the tiny overstuffed box, and spent the rest of the party hoping. And…I won! Meet Gary II. Can you believe he is mine??
Thank you Pug Partners! Thank you Pug people! Thank you Pugs and one-day-only honorary Pugs! We had a very fun time with you!
Ernie Nelson is one of my very favorite dogs. In fact, as you probably know, because you probably know Ernie…Ernie is EVERYONE’S favorite dog.
Recently, Ernie ran out of treats.
It was a sad day.
Ernie will ONLY eat the jerky treats that Hill’s Pet Nutrition had recently discontinued. Omaha has officially run out of Ernie’s treats, which I know because Mom and Dad checked EVERYWHERE for them, and they are GONE.
I know the people at Hill’s Pet Nutrition are very kind. I also knew they could probably help me. So I sent out this SOS tweet on behalf of Ernie:
Please help us find your former jerky treats for Mom & Dad’s Ernie Dog
@HillsVet Look how sad he is without them!
And SOMEONE at Hill’s tweeted back…
And next thing I know, there are TWENTY ONE bags of the only treats in the whole wide world that Ernie will eat right on our doorstep!
According to my veterinary nutritional calculations, that should last a four pound dog…forever.
They were sent as a gift by an anonymous person at Hill’s. So I set out to blow her cover, which she probably was using to do all sorts of kind things, and found out that the person responsible for getting Ernie his treats was Nancy McKenzie.
Then I said…
And she said…
And it was.
Thank you Nancy! You made my week, you made Mom and Dad’s week and you definitely made Ernie’s week!
Here are pictures of Ernie getting his treats after going DAYS without them…
HAPPY THIRTEENTH BIRTHDAY AND A DAY ERNIE!
LOVE YOU SO MUCH!
The third annual Pawcurious Blogathon starts this coming Saturday at 1:00 pm Central Time!
What is Blogathon?
Blogathon is a very fun online fundraiser for animals. It was started in 2009 when Dr. V decided, sort of on the spur of the moment, to spend twenty-four hours in a row blogging hourly to raise money for her local humane society.
In 2010, eight other bloggers joined Dr. V to raise money for different pet causes. Four of us raised money for a seizure support dog for a four year old named Bradyn. (He is getting his dog in March 2012 – woo!)
This year, the project has gotten so crazy that I do not even know how many animal lovers are participating yet! How cool is that??
Elizabeth Hilpipre and I, along with at least six other Omaha bloggers, are raising money for the Nebraska Humane Society. Also, an anonymous donor is matching every single donation to the Nebraska Humane Society during the Blogathon! (Thank you Secret Pet Saver!!!)
Here is a running list of participants…Let me know of any I should add!
Riley and James
When is Blogathon?
1:00 pm Saturday, November 12. 2011 – noon Sunday, November 13. 2011 Central Time.
Can I participate?
Yes, of course!
- If you have a blog, and an animal related cause you would like to support, join us on Saturday and Sunday to blog hourly to raise money for your chosen cause. Feel free to blog more or less often, or participate in the “sane” hours of the Blogathon.
- If you have a blog and would like to support a cause already being sponsored, check the list of participants and jump in with the project you would like to support! Last year, I was still figuring all of this out, and loved Dr. V’s idea of helping a little boy get his therapy dog, so this is the option I chose.
- Let us know you are participating!
Do I Have Time to Prepare if this is the First I Have Heard of Blogathon?
Last year I bought some Diet Coke and chocolate right before Blogathon started and made stuff up as I went. So, yes.
What Should I Blog About?
The cause you are supporting…pets…your thoughts on things you think…videos…photos…links to the cause you are supporting or other Blogathon participants’ websites and the causes they are supporting or other stuff…
My blogging style is a bit random, so I made sure to link to the donation site at the end of every post last year to help focus myself. I will be doing that again this year!
Do You Have Links From Last Year I Can Check Out?
Yes, and if you follow those links, they will bring you to more information!
Oh no, I do not have a blog! Do I need to sit on the curb and watch everyone go by? *sniff*
No, of course not!
- Offer to write a guest blog post in advance for any participating blogger you think may need a 3 am coffee break.
- Comment on the participating blogs. You would not believe how encouraging support and participation are when bloggers are thinking “What was I thinking?” and “What did I get myself into?” and “I am so tired!” and “Is this making a difference?”
- See if bloggers need pictures that you have taken. We are ALWAYS looking for great pictures, and they make posts more fun to read. Also, your pets are super cute.
- I am specifically looking for pictures of clocks “on the hour” to post each hour, so if you take a neat clock picture that I can use, let me know!
You are crazy! I am not staying up all night!
That is not a question! But you do have a good point. You can still help!
- Promote the Blogathon through facebook and twitter and other social media sites.
- Tell your friends and family.
- Support the cause or causes that you love. Make donations during the Blogathon or even later in honor of “The Pawcurious Blogathon.”
- Learn about the groups highlighted during Blogathon that sound interesting.
- Get to know the participating bloggers. Odds are, they are just as dog crazy as you are and would be very fun to know!
- Do the awesome things you are already doing to help organizations helping animals…give, volunteer, support.
I think you are awesome, and I can not wait to spend this coming weekend with you! THIS is going to be fun, people!
This is too important not to discuss! Nebraska is in the top five states for puppy mills! In today’s Life with Dogs post, I discuss the pet store end of the problem. Is this a solvable problem? I really think it is!
Dr. Becker, Teresa, Gina, McKenzie, Rebecca, Dan, Simon the Cat and friends and Council Bluffs PetCo team, it was so nice to meet you all! And Dr. Backlund, it was very nice to see you! We had a very fun afternoon.
Joy the Puppy and me :)